Work permit can be granted to certain categories of persons who have some status and/or qualifications determined by Ministry of Labor and Social Security. However, there is not such a type of work permit called "exceptional," and it should not be taken as an exemption from work permit requirements. Granting work permit exceptionally is simply means that, principles for assessments of applications and time periods specified in Law will not be applied to some persons.
Now with the International Workforce Law No. 6735, which is in force as of 13 August 2016, foreigners to be granted work permit without being subject to the principles related to assessment of applications and time periods specified in Law are those, who are;
- assessed as qualified workforce due to their educational level, wage, professional experience, contribution to science and technology and such like qualifications,
- assessed as qualified investor due to their contribution to science and technology, their level of investment or export value, volume of employment they provide and such like qualifications,
- employed by his/her employer for a certain period in a project which is being realized in Turkey,
- declared by Ministry of Interior or Ministry of Foreign Affairs as of Turkish origin,
- citizens of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus,
- citizens of the countries that are member of the European Union,
- in the scope of Law No. 6458; applicants of international protection claim, conditional refugees, persons under tem¬porary protection and stateless persons, victims of human trafficking supported by the victim’s assistance process,
- married with a Turkish citizen and live in Turkey with their spouse with marriage bond,
- employed in foreign missions without diplomatic inviolability,
- internationally reputed for their successes in their field and come to Turkey for scientific, cultural and *sportive purposes,
cross-border service providers.
*Important Note: According to abolished Law no. 4817 "foreign football players and other sportsmen, sportswomen, and coaches" were outside the scope of work permit (they did not need work permit). But with the Law No. 6735 they are taken in the scope of Law, and they must obtain work permit for practicing their profession.
Regulation to be issued
Exceptional implementation of work permit provisions, and following qualifications of those that may be included in this scope; foreign real persons' educational level, wage, professional experience, contribution to science and technology; company partner's share; legal entities' level of investment or export value, volume of employment they provide and suchlike,
Subjects related to exceptional implementation of assessment and time periods
will be determined by a Regulation issued by Ministry of Labor and Social Security.