In Turkey press members have different rights in comparison with the other employees, regarding annual vacation, paid leaves and maternity leave.
Press Labor Law (Law on Sector Regulations between Press Employees and Employers) No. 5953, provides longer leave periods for press members.
Annual vacation periods vary depending on where press members works.
- In daily periodicals;
ü For employees whose length of service at least one year: 4 weeks, this one year service may be gained in different periodicals.
ü For employees whose length of service is over ten years: 6 weeks.
- In weekly and monthly periodical; 2 weeks for every 6 months of service regardless of the length of service in the profession.
LEAVE OF ABSENCE WITH PAY
- Paternity Leave: 5 days in case of employee’s spouse giving birth,
- Bereavement Leave: 3 days, in the event of employee’s mother, father, spouse, brother or sister, and child's death.
- 2 days in case death of siblings and grandparents.
- 2 days in case marriage of a son or daughter.
Maternity leave of a press member is 5 moths, starting from 7th month of pregnancy. She can get back to work at the starting of the 3. month after childbirth. In case the baby born is death 1 month leave after childbirth.
After birth rights provided in Labor Law 4857 such as half time and part time work and breastfeeding leave is not valid for press members.
DESCRIPTION OF PRESS MEMBER
Persons employed in periodical newspapers and magazines, news and photograph agencies, news departments of radio and television companies, under following titles are considered as press members;
- Writer, news reporter, painter, cartoonist, newspaper photographer, cameraman, translator, editor,
- News director, speaker, commentator,
- Person engaged in literary and artistic works in the press and media.