As a general rule, foreigners are obliged to get a work permit to work dependently or independently in Turkey.
However, some occupations and professions are prohibited to foreigners, and can only be performed by Turkish citizens. This ban is arranged in the special laws of the related professions.
According to article 6 of International Workforce Law No 6735; application made for occupations and professions confined exclusively to Turkish citizens in other laws shall be rejected.
The following professional occupations cannot be performed by foreigners:
- Dentistry (dentist, dental surgery)
- Nursing (midwife, nurse)
- Managing director in private health institutions
- Lawyer (Judge, public prosecutor)
- Security staff
- Exportation of fish, abalone, mussel, sponge, pearl, coral
- Diving, maritime pilotage, and captainship, engineering and mariner on ships, within the territorial waters
- Customs brokerage
- Tourist guiding.